COVID-19 SAFETY GUIDELINES
To maintain the safety of visitors and staff:
- Fully-vaccinated people are not required to wear masks indoors or outdoors while on our property or inside our facilities. A fully-vaccinated person is someone who received their final dose of COVID vaccine at least two weeks ago.
- Unvaccinated people are required to wear masks inside our buildings.
HOURS: To avoid being locked in the cemetery, note Gate Closing Times
Laurel Hill Cemetery’s gates are open 365 days a year, which includes all holidays:
April 1 to October 31: 7:00 am - 7:00 pm
November 1 to March 31: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Except in the case of special events, all vehicles and foot traffic must exit the cemetery grounds prior to the gates being locked.
Restrooms are open during gate hours.
GIFT SHOP & OFFICE HOURS
Monday-Friday: 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Saturday and Sunday: 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM
In 2021, the Gift Shop & Office will be closed the following days to observe holidays:
January 18, May 31, July 5, September 6, November 25, December 24 and 25
- Shop our Gift Shop online!
- Shipping and contact-free pick up options available.
- Shipping and contact-free pick up options available.
Visitors are welcome to tour the cemetery by vehicle or by foot. Passenger vehicles, vans, trucks, and small tour buses are permitted on the cemetery grounds. When parking in the cemetery, please park to the side of the roads, enabling regular Cemetery traffic to travel around you.
Laurel Hill’s narrow entrances and roadways limit use by large tour buses, school buses, and freight trucks. A parking lot is available for oversized vehicles, located directly across the street from the cemetery’s main entrance on Ridge Avenue.
Speed Limit: Please obey the 15 mph speed limit.
A limited number of parking spaces are available immediately inside the cemetery’s main entrance on Ridge Avenue. After passing under the Gatehouse archway, the parking spaces will be located to your left, and the office and gift shop to your right.
The parking lot located directly across the street from the Gatehouse entrance is also available for parking free of charge.
Tour groups and event attendees - use this lot and cross Ridge Avenue on foot to enter the cemetery. Over-sized vehicles, including school and tour buses, should always use this lot.
If the lots are full, ample (free) street parking is available on West Indiana Avenue, Shedwick Street, and 35th Street.
We STRONGLY DISCOURAGE parking along Ridge Avenue.
In keeping with the ethos of the rural cemetery movement, we welcome recreation at Laurel Hill, including picnicking, jogging, running, hiking, biking, roller skating, and rollerblading.
- For your own safety and the integrity of our National Historic Landmark site, monuments should not be climbed, leaned against, or otherwise touched, as they can and do topple, and are more than 100 years old.
- Please be respectful and keep in mind that Laurel Hill is a final site of rest.
Dog walkers are welcome in Laurel Hill Cemetery and expected to follow the below guidelines:
- Dogs must be licensed and have required vaccinations.
- Dogs must remain leashed at all times.
- Dog owners must clean up after their pets. Pet waste bags and disposal containers are available at the Gatehouse and near the bridge to the South Section.
Service dogs are permitted in all areas of the cemetery grounds and buildings.
Please note that except for special events, alcohol is prohibited on the grounds. Illegal substances are always prohibited. Visitors should remove all trash or other materials produced while visiting or dispose of them in appropriate containers at the Cemetery entrance.
- Free maps & Program Rack Cards are available in the brochure racks at the Gatehouse and Central Gate entrances.
- Download the map before you arrive.
- Souvenir maps are available in the Gift Shop for $3 and highlight a selection of our best-known residents.
Due to the age and nature of our monuments, grave rubbings of any kind are prohibited. If you are a researcher or a family descendant and would like to learn more about a certain monument or inscription, please contact the office staff at 215-228-8200 or email email@example.com.
GUIDED TOURS, SCHOOLS, and MEET-UP GROUPS
Laurel Hill encourages senior groups, meet-up groups, classes, clubs, and schools to use the cemetery for educational and recreational purposes.
PHOTOGRAPHY and VIDEOGRAPHY
Photography and videography are permitted on Cemetery grounds for a fee and must be approved by the Cemetery one month in advance.
- For shoots using models (human and otherwise), costumes, props, extensive equipment, and event photography (weddings, engagements, holiday, etc.), please see the “Commercial Shoot” guidelines below and contact us for pricing: 610-668-9900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please read our Photography Guidelines for additional information and requirements, including a few highlights below:
- Monuments should not be climbed, leaned against, or otherwise touched, as they can and do topple, and are more than 100 years old.
- Groups of photographers or photography classes are required to submit a request in advance, involve a signed agreement, fee, and one month’s notice to set up an appointment time. These visitation numbers are tracked for grant-writing purposes.
- Commercial shoots and shoots before or after gate hours are required to submit a request in advance, involve a signed agreement, fee, and one month’s notice to set up an appointment time.
- Photographing or otherwise recording funeral ceremonies, funeral processions, or families visiting gravesites is strictly prohibited (except where the photographer is a member of the funeral party or family). All persons present on the Cemetery grounds should conduct themselves with decorum appropriate to a place of mourning, with due respect to those who might overhear them.
COMMERCIAL SHOOTS & PRIVATE RENTALS
The use of extensive equipment and lights, as well as the use of human models, costumes and props, and/or financial gain from the resulting still or motion pictures constitute a commercial shoot.
Please complete the form on our Private Rental page to request the use of the Cemetery for commercial productions or private rentals: https://thelaurelhillcemetery.org/visit/tours-acti…
To schedule a private Ghost Hunt with your group, download the Ghost Hunt Planning Guide 2021 and complete this reservation form. A staff person will be in contact shortly after the reservation form is received