Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 11:00 am
The expansion of Fairmount Park in the 1860s prevented further growth of Laurel Hill, and in 1869 our sister cemetery, West Laurel Hill, was established just across the river in Bala Cynwyd. This general walking tour provides a wonderful overview of West Laurel Hill’s long and colorful history, including its architectural artistry, stunning trees and horticulture, and the stories of residents that encompass diverse and fascinating Philadelphia history. The cemetery’s nearly 200 acres of gently rolling hills, mature trees, historic architecture, majestic mausoleums and wildlife create a true year-round garden experience.
Sacred Spaces and Storied Places is the perfect introductory tour for anyone who enjoys beautiful art, scenic nature, and fascinating history. Experienced tour guides offer visitors a unique perspective for every tour.
The walking tour will take place on Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 11:00 am. This walking tour departs from the West Laurel Hill Conservatory at 225 Belmont Avenue Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004. Free parking is located just outside of the Conservatory entrance and directions to the Conservatory are given here.
Tickets must be purchased in advance.
Ticket pricing is $12/General Admission, $10/Seniors (65 & Up), $10/Students with ID, $7/Members, $6/Youth (6-12), and $0/Child (5 & Under). Tickets can be purchased online or onsite.
Please note - youth and children must be accompanied by an adult.
Tour Guide: Sarah Hamill
Social Distancing Guidelines for In-Person Tours
To maintain the safety of guests and staff the following guidelines are in effect for all in-person tours:
- Tickets must be purchased in advance and tours are limited to 10 people
- There will be a table set up near the conservatory for check-in. A staff person will ask three screening questions before admitting guests on the tour to make sure guests have not been exposed to COVID 19 in the past two weeks. (If you think you have been exposed to Covid-19, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will issue you a credit for your ticket purchase).
- Anyone older than 2 years of age must wear a mask or facial covering over their nose and mouth at all times
- Everyone on the tour is asked to practice social distancing with anyone outside of their household
- A staff person will be on hand on the tour to ensure that these guidelines are followed