Hosted by the General Meade Society on Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:00 pm
Recreating the Original G.A.R. Decoration Day Service of 1868: The traditional Decoration Day service of the Grand Army Meade Post #1 will be recreated at Historic Laurel Hill Cemetery, 3822 Ridge Ave. Philadelphia on Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:00 pm. Selected representatives of the sponsoring groups will attend and participate in the ceremony using physical distancing measures. Laurel Hill is the site of the first Memorial Day Observance in Philadelphia on this date in 1868.
Special veterans’ grave markers will be dedicated at the graves of veterans. Afterwards, we will move to the grave of General Meade, hero of Gettysburg to perform the traditional service to honor all veterans who fell defending the Nation. Wreath-layings will enhance the ceremony.
Co-sponsored by the General Meade Society of Philadelphia; Friends of Laurel Hill & West Laurel Hill Cemeteries; American Legion Post #405; MOLLUS, et. al.. For information, e-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
Everyone must RSVP in advance.
Social Distancing Guidelines for In-Person Tours
To maintain the safety of guests and staff the following guideline are in effect for all in-person tours:
- Unfortunately, we will not feature the usual band, music, refreshments nor beverages in keeping with the health concerns of the pandemic.
- Everyone must RSVP in advance and slots are limited to 20 people.
- There will be a table set up for check-in. A staff person will ask screening questions before admitting guests on the tour to make sure guests have not been exposed to COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19, please email email@example.com and we will issue you a refund or credit for your ticket purchase.
- Anyone older than 2 years of age must wear a mask or face covering over their nose and mouth at all times
- Everyone at the ceremony must practice social distancing with anyone outside of their household
- A staff person will be on hand on the tour to ensure that these guidelines are followed
- Guests acknowledge that the Friends of Laurel Hill & West Laurel Hill Cemeteries reserves the right to disclose the identity and contact information of any and all guests to government-authorized individuals, agencies, or organizations for the purposes of contact-tracing in adherence with local, state, or federal requirements, recommendations, or guidelines.
- Anyone who receives a positive test result for COVID-19 within 14 days of attending an in-person program should email firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.