RESCHEDULED An Anti-Valentine Walking Tour at West Laurel Hill on Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 3:00 pm
Due to inclement weather on February 14, 2021, this tour has been rescheduled to Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 3:00 pm.
“Roses fall, but the thorns remain.” Dutch Proverb
With over a century of burial records, biographies, letters, and press clippings of those buried at West Laurel Hill Cemetery, there is a wealth of stories about love lost, betrayed, or gotten with guise.
For example, the story of the Shanbackers is one of intense affection – for the cities they loved. Edward F. Shanbacker was a banker who was loyal to Philadelphia, but his wife, Alice, loved New York City and hated Philadelphia. When the First World War made travel too difficult, they lived much of their lives apart. After Alice died, her will directed that she was to be buried at Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York. She left nothing for her husband. When Edward died three years later, he made his devotion to Philadelphia permanent by directing that he be buried in West Laurel Hill Cemetery. Join to learn about the Shanbackers and many more that embraced the thorny side of romance.
Tickets include specialty chocolate from Mueller Chocolate Co.
The walking tour will take place on Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 3:00 pm. This walking tour departs from the West Laurel Hill Funeral Home at 225 Belmont Avenue Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004. Free parking is located adjacent to the Funeral Home and directions are given here.
Tickets must be purchased in advance.
Ticket pricing is $20/General Admission, $18/Seniors (65 & Up), $18/Students with ID, $15/Members, $10/Youth (6-12), and $0/Child (5 & Under). Please note - youth and children must be accompanied by an adult.
Social Distancing Guidelines for In-Person Tours
To maintain the safety of guests and staff the following guideline are in effect for all in-person tours:
- Tickets must be purchased in advance and tours are limited to 15 people.
- There will be a table set up for check-in. A staff person will ask screening questions before admitting guests on the tour to make sure guests have not been exposed to COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will issue you a refund or credit for your ticket purchase.
- Anyone older than 2 years of age must wear a mask or face covering over their nose and mouth at all times
- Everyone on the tour must practice social distancing with anyone outside of their household
- A staff person will be on hand on the tour to ensure that these guidelines are followed
- Guests acknowledge that the Friends of Laurel Hill & West Laurel Hill Cemeteries reserves the right to disclose the identity and contact information of any and all guests to government-authorized individuals, agencies, or organizations for the purposes of contact-tracing in adherence with local, state, or federal requirements, recommendations, or guidelines.
- Anyone who receives a positive test result for COVID-19 within 14 days of attending an in-person program should email email@example.com immediately.