Laurel Hill & West Laurel Hill Cemeteries
West Laurel Hill Funeral Home
Historic Laurel Hill Cemetery and West Laurel Hill Cemetery & Funeral Home have an excitingopportunity for an experienced Communications Specialist. West Laurel Hill Cemetery, located in Bala Cynwyd, was founded in 1869 and is an active historic cemetery with a funeral home as well as a community resource and recreational space. Laurel Hill Cemetery, located in Philadelphia, is a 78‐acre National Historic Landmark. Reporting to the President & CEO, The Communications Specialist is a key management leader, responsible for directing the internal and external communication functions for Laurel Hill and West Laurel Hill, West Laurel Hill Funeral Home, and the Friends of Laurel Hill & West Laurel Hill Cemeteries. This position requires a strategic and innovative thinker to create and implement system‐wide avenues for raising the organization’s profile, ensuring strong public use and support of the communication amenities and resources offered, and helping generate support for revenue‐producing goods and services. The Communications Specialist ensures that communications support is being provided to staff, helping to unify and improve efficiency. By developing a strategic communications plan with leadership, the Communications Specialist also ensures the organization is consistently and accurately messaging content in the most impactful and cost‐effective ways.
- Develop a strategic communications plan and a public relations plan with leadership that utilizes communication tools to reach target audiences and the public at large.
- Manage brand clarity initiative and ensure that brand messaging is consistent across all platforms.
- Regularly monitor and prepare analytics of all communication initiatives.
- Cultivate and maintain press relationships and increase local, regional, national and international media coverage, including print, digital, TV and radio. Shape coverage that highlights all strategic pillars of the organization (eternal rest, recreation and civic value) and spotlights the organization’s leading role in environmental sustainability and as a thought leader in issues of death and dying.
- Draft and distribute press releases, advisories and media pitches. Maintain the media database of local, national and international contacts. Maintain the organization’s image library and ensure it is kept current.
- Work with staff to enhance event coverage, provide on‐site communications support, and supervise media interviews, photography and other coverage of activities.
- Prepare leadership for media interviews and write statements, speeches, talking points, presentations, op‐eds, letters to the editor, and other materials. Serve as organization spokesperson as needed.
- Develop and implement a crisis communications plan with leadership to anticipate issues and minimize risk.
- Write and edit compelling content and coordinate photos and graphics for all print and digital publications, including annual fundraising solicitations and grants. Work with printers and vendors to ensure highest quality production while keeping within budget. Supervise distribution of the materials through mailings, at on‐site locations, and through digital communications.
- Manage any redo or refresh of websites and maintain content to ensure accurate and current information. Compile and post regular blog entries and digital images that engage followers and encourage participation and financial support for the organization.
- Coordinate messaging on all social media platforms that aligns with and complements the organization’s brand and mission and stimulates engagement with audiences.
- Manage internal communications in service to all staff, keeping everyone posted in a timely manner on important operations, activities, programs, and news that impacts or is of interest to the organization in order to increase efficiency, innovation and coordination.
- Other responsibilities may include but are not limited to effectively communicating with Board members and meeting with other peer professionals in order to follow and stay on top of trends.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field is required; Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in communications strategy development or related work, preferably inclusive of work in the nonprofit sector.
- A confident and persuasive written and verbal communicator, with high computer literacy and proven social media and networking expertise.
- Strong work ethic; works well under pressure with a capacity to meet deadlines.
- High‐level strategic thinker with a creative mindset.
- Meticulous attention to detail; exceptional editor.
We offer excellent compensation and benefits. Please send your resume with salary requirement to: West Laurel Hill Cemetery, HR Dept., 215 Belmont Avenue, Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 or email: email@example.com